2021, a year to forget for travelling. But we've carried on doing our thing. Posting Side Notes and blogging about what we've done within the confines of Covid-19 stipulations. One of us is in Australia while two of us are in England and we'll let you guess who the envious ones are among us...
With all that being said, there's been some great music, more time to make cinematographically stunning surf films an amalgamation of the two - some thrashing skate videos and we've taken some cracking photos if we say so ourselves. Here are each of our three favourites from them along with our favourite photo that we all took...
Bands/Artists of the Year
3. Chubby and the Gang - I can't understand a word the singer says but I like listening to it.
2. Turnstile - Cosmic post hardcore or something along those lines. The journey of this band is incredible and the sound and vibe of this band is almost everything we need in 2021
1. Idles - I said almost above as Idles is the band that is everything we need in 2021, 2022, 2020 and beyond. I feel 2022 could be the year that they really breakthrough and it will be interesting to see how they respond to that.
3. Raw Days - Nias, Indonesia from NobodySurf
2. Twelve - John John Florence
1. Lost Track Atlantic Episode 1 - Torren Martyn
Just one from me because I don't really know or care!
Alright, Ok - Vans
Bands of the Year
3. Sam Fender - His latest album was absolutely brilliant from start to finish.
2. Chvrches - Screen Violence was a brilliant follow up to their slightly disappointing 3rd album. Dark heavy 80s tone featuring Robert Smith, what's not to love?
1. The War On Drugs - By far my top album of 2021, flawless from start to finish band a great progression for the band!
3. No Straight Lines // Asher Pacey
2. Vans X Alex Knost | Surf Video | VANS
1.The Perfect 'Lazy Man's Shortboard' | Lee Wilson in 'Aprilia'
3. Jamie Thomas 47 Tricks At Age 47
2. Toy Machine's "Scorched Earth" Video
1. Worble and Cobra Man’s “Worble III” Video
Albums of the Year
3. Cut Worms - Nobody Lives Here Anymore - A bit of a cop out as this album is technically from 2020 but I only discovered it this year. Plus it has an eery connection to the number 1 on this list.
2. Lana Del Rey - Blue Bannisters - Lana returns with a second album in less than a year and knocks it out the park, in the most sultry way possible.
1. War on Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore - After the sub-par Deeper Understanding, War on Drugs pulls out their finest since 2014's Lost in the Dream, easy album of the year.
3. Torren Martyn - Lost Track Atlantic - Four part series following Torren and filmmaker Ishka Folkwell as they search for waves and life-long memories. All four episodes now available.
2. Dune Dogs - The Sound of Change - Rhythm - Hudson Ritchie and co head south of the border in search of some empty waves and picturesque Mexican breaks.
1. Points South with Dave Rastovich and John John Florence - Two of the best surfers on the planet join forces and just hang out and share perfect peelers.
I could go through and find all the best clips and videos of 2021 but 80% of it would be Berrics anyway, and look at that, they made a compilation video.