Hard Pressed Cornwall create handcrafted, artisan oils that, I can confirm, spice up any bit of cooking and add a certain "je ne sais quoi" to any dish. In between hard pressing oils, we caught up with Dan, for our quick fire 10...
1. How do you start your day?
The typical start of the day is with a coffee and a few mellow tunes from Spotify to wake me up and get ready for a day of oil creation.
2. What music inspires you the most and why?
Either a bit of acoustic or folk. It just brightens up your mood and makes the day easier to get through.
3. Which life experience holds the most value in your life?
Having the opportunity to work for yourself. The freedom to make ideas come to reality.
4. Any unusual habits that you love?
Maybe not a habit but I can’t remember much. Sorry what was the question?
5. Your favorite way to de-stress?
Getting in the water for a surf, we find it’s the best therapy and a way to leave all your stress at the shoreline.
6. If someone was starting out in your field of expertise, what advice should be ignored?
“A good product will sell itself.” You cannot hide behind a product or brand, you and your brand are never separate, you cannot sell a product and not yourself, the product is only as good as its creator.
7. When feeling unfocused or uninspired, what brings your creativity back?
Our motivation always comes from our customers, hearing the enthusiasm and love that exists for what we do gets us up in the morning and constantly inspires us to carry on.
8. What skill would you like to master and why?
Working in an industry dominated by pubs. We would like the ability to go into one without stopping for a pint or two.However we appreciate and embrace our weaknesses!
9. What is something you think everyone should do at least once in their lives? Learn to play an instrument, could even just be a triangle.
10. Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
We wish to maintain our standing as one of the top oil producers in the county, our aim is to have a working environment in which we can work alongside our friends, creating and providing suitable, stable and well paying careers for local folk in the area.
You can read more about Hard Pressed Cornwall and purchase oils from their website. The Smoked Liquid Chorizo is a winner, it gives vegans the chance to infuse the flavour of chorizo without having to give up on their values! Hard Pressed will be at a number of food festivals this summer as well as regular pitches at Newquay and Padstow Farmer's Markets.